New year, the soft drumming of vague resolutions ringing in my ears, no time to fuss with fancy breakfast and a distinct craving for simple comfort. Enter oatmeal. No need for the usual toppings, it’s a new year, a new start. No need for a pot, just an oversized bowl and the microwave. Toss in some blueberries, a splash of sugar and vanilla and 2014 ready or not here I come. Insert dance moves and a cup of coffee here.
Five Minute Fancy Blueberry Vanilla Oatmeal
makes one serving
- ½ cup thick cut oats
- 1 cup water
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp sweetener (sugar, honey, or agave)-optional
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup milk-optional
- Combine water, oats, and salt in an oversize microwave safe bowl (You need enough space that there is no chance of the oats boiling over and gunning things up),
- Microwave for three minutes.
- Add blueberries, sweetener, and vanilla.
- Stir to combine and microwave for another two to three minutes.
- Top with milk and a dash of cinnamon.
- Conquer the new year.
My blueberry loyalties are torn. I’ve lived in both Maine and Oregon. Wild blueberries are flavor packed, scrappy- my winter choice now that I’m in Oregon. But come summer nothing beats a pint of fresh picked Oregon blueberries, impossibly fat and sweet and juicy.